Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
BrimfieldShow Bulletin Board * Had a Problem with a Promoter or a Dealer?  

Don't forget - you must register to post. Its free and only takes a minute, and you need a valid email address to validate your registration.

To register, please click the "Register" link at the top of the page or Click Here

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Scammed? Share it here.Debbie Brill 17 10-24-16  8:25 am
Code of Conduct Kelly Albrecht 7-17-16  2:51 pm
NEVER use Elegant Tent out of LenoxKathleen Hawks 5-10-15  7:21 pm
Lost: Toledo Chair at May 2014 Showjustin m dorset 5-22-14  12:42 pm
Leighton Smith, Memories AntiquesLori Booher 5-22-14  10:08 am
Scam artistPat Cammarata 9-12-13  6:36 pm
WACKO BUTTON DEALERelaine keno 5-28-13  10:11 pm
Erica Haba Scam (Au Ciel Antiques)-BUYER BEWARE!Mike M 7-25-12  8:40 pm
Fake Chinese Antiques?Brimfieldshow. Admin9-13-10  1:25 pm
Rude and scary dealerRose Ker 9-13-10  9:43 am
Erica Haba Scam (Au Ciel , CT) - BUYER BEWARE!!!Rebecca Biss 5-13-10  11:16 am
Looking for sign sold to me!!!!Bethridge Goode 5-18-08  10:51 am
John Love ScamMark Dubin9-21-05  9:58 pm
JOHN LOVE SCAMMark Dubin7-03-05  10:19 pm
THE SAGA OF THE JOHN LOVE SCAMMark Dubin5-15-05  10:20 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

justin m dorset (rustyjunk)
Username: rustyjunk

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.228.249.172

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a wooden pattern/ mold from a New Jersey dealer, Scott Mitchell who set up in Heart of the Mart a week ago. He packed up his stall and left early that Wed, taking with him the item I paid for in full. I got his number from the field's office and when I called him, he said he was already on his way back to NJ. He agreed to ship it to me but since then he has ignored several phone calls and texts. I suspect I'll never see this item again but I would warn any other buyers to avoid Scott Mitchell. Don & Pam Moriarty who run the field have also ignored my messages so it's quite disillusioning.

Cynthia Davis (cynthiadesigns)
Username: cynthiadesigns

Posted From: 66.31.215.143

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I paid $400 cash and another $200 by credit card for some exterior lights by Mainely Lighting. The sellers name is Dennis. I gave him my shipping account for UPS and he was going to ship them with the repairs he was making but I never got the lights. Now I am calling him daily and emailing and he won;t respond. Does anyone know him? He was so great and professional and it's weird he fell off the face of the earth after I paid him in full,.

Rick George (rick)
Username: rick

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 67.249.199.112

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

R Clay, thanks for your reply to my post and the information. We're now informed. As it was our first trip to B'field we were in a learning mode. We understand the mode of operation for next time.

R Clay Smith (dasbullihaus)
Expert
Username: dasbullihaus

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 75.194.255.173

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, all of the following is from what I see as a buyer and dealer. I am in no way involved with any promoter (though I am friends with my field's staff and owner).

The fields that charge will charge as long as they can but at the same point they want the dealers to have buyers. If there is low foot traffic they will stop charging sooner but it seems that the all day fields that have a gate charge till midday or so and then it goes free. I remember J & J going free about 9 once (when they opened at 6) but the weather was real bad that day and dealers were not real happy. Yes, there is no fine print or signs but that is because it happens on a case by case basis.

Rick George (rick)
Username: rick

Posted From: 67.249.199.112

Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife and I attended the show for the first time this year. We decided to enter the J&J Promotions field. We read the signs and spoke with the admission person about the fee to enter the field, stated to be charged only on Friday (all day Friday) July 16, but there would be no charge on Saturday or Sunday. We entered the field after paying our $10 only to find out that upon exiting around noon they were no longer charging the admission. This left us with a negative image of J&J Promotions and the Brimfield show in general for allowing this to occur. Ten dollars isn't much in the grander scheme of things, but this was false advertising to say the least. There was no signage stating that the promoters would possibly change their admission policy at any time. Maybe it's in the small print somewhere, in some inconspicuous location.

Bethridge Goode (happy_girl)
Username: happy_girl

Posted From: 65.115.34.244

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last year I had a bigtime problem with MAY's owner and operator Martha May. She was absolutely NO help (even seemed to go out of her way to keep me from getting help) in recovering an item that I'd bought, planned to pick up and the dealer left early. The dealer had tried to leave it with her for me to pick up -- she wouldn't take it. She "lost" the name and # of the dealer so I could track him down. She hung up on me when I called. When I found the dealer THE NEXT YEAR! he still had my item with a note attached about me. I told him I'd asked Martha for help and he said she knew exactly where to find him the whole time. So, I don't go to May's anymore...

William Mengel (bmengel)
Username: bmengel

Posted From: 108.25.26.20

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have been coming to Brimfield's for many years and never experienced any problems with the many items we purchased until this year. On Sunday, May 16, we bought a sealskin coat at Booth #82, located in the Central Park field. It was the first time we've ever bought a fur coat, so we really didn't know what to look for as far as quality, we relied on the dealer not selling us something that was defective. When we got the coat home, we immediately took it to a professional cleaner in the area for cleaning and storage. This cleaner took one look at the coat and told us that she could not clean it since it was damaged, dried out and beyond repair. She illustrated her point by pulling at the fur, which came off in her hand in clumps. We called the dealer to request a refund of our money and we would send back the coat. It took several telephone calls before even getting a return call, at which time the dealer questioned how we had handled the coat and we were told that no refund would be issued. When we stressed the point that we were sold a defective item, the dealer hung up the phone on us. So, the lesson learned is buy beware of fur coats and certain booths. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to find another coat at another booth that has been taken care of properly.

Kerry McCaffrey (mccaff14)
Username: mccaff14

Posted From: 96.233.60.105

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too am completely frustrated and discouraged with a situation involving Cathy Ritthaler, of Vintage Girl. I purchased (among other things) a t-shirt from Cathy on Friday of the September show in Brimfield and she did not have the size I was looking for. She assured me she would be sending me the t-shirt by the following Wednesday and it is now November 13th and I still have NO T-SHIRT. At first, I could not find any contact information for Vintage Girl but after finding the receipt, I was able to try to contact Cathy via phone. I have left atleast five messages for Cathy regarding this issue and have had no reply what so ever! This is annoying and troubling and frustrating and I am so disappointed in this merchant's business practices as well. I will continue to try to contact her now that I have her mailing address, I will try to send a certified letter. I am only out $38 but hey, I work hard for my money and I don't treat myself to $38 t-shirts very often!

veronica bailey (vbailey)
Username: vbailey

Posted From: 71.235.124.235

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vintage Girl
attach is a letter which I have sent after repeated attempts to receive merchandise from this vendor with no resolution after 4 months. I first had contact with her at the Farmington Antique Fair. Apparently other customers along with myself complained to Jenkins show about her business practices. I have not had resolution to date.

Cathy or Walter Ritthaler
Vintage Girl
37 Hamilton Ave Apt 2c
Weehawken, NJ 07086
201-866-7008

Dear Cathy or Walter,

I am writing you this letter to inform you of my intent to seek full reimbursement of my check for $470.00. This represents the order which I placed with you at the Farmington Antique Fair on June 14, 2008. At that time I received a partial order for merchandise with assurance from you, Cathy, that I would receive the remainder of the order through the mail within two weeks. It is now October 1, 2008 and after 20+ phone messages and two personal conversations, one via phone and one at the July Brimfield Antique Show, I have yet to receive the remainder of the order. I have waited patiently beyond normal customer expectations. I have taken your that I would receive my products in a timely fashion. You had made a promise of additional merchandise in an attempt to patch our customer relation due to the wait. At the time, I was satisfied that you were making an effort but honestly all I wanted was the remaining merchandise to finish my young daughter’s new bedroom. Not only have I waited but my daughter has had to wait as well.

After you have reimbursed my check of $470.00 I will return to you, 1 quilt, 2 sets of shams, 1 sheet set, and 4 pillows. I am beyond words to express my irritation, frustration and regret over this situation.

I look forward to receiving the reimbursement from you to as to avoid further legal actions. Failure to respond to my request will represent a further indication of your failure to fulfill your merchant obligation. I hope this letter can resolve our conflict as I do frequent the Brimfield Antique Show, Farmington Antique Show and other New England venues and would not want to compromise your future business ventures on these occasions.

Arlene Goode (allgoode)
Username: allgoode

Posted From: 68.39.5.70

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the May 2008 show I purchased a hunter green, display rack/advertising piece for $130.00 at Mays. When I returned to pick it up, the dealer was gone. He goes by the name GEORGE and sells with his wife; they are from Rochester, NY. I've been looking for him online and will be there in September. I've had no support from the field so any help from fellow Brimfielders is appreciated.

KK (kk08)
Username: kk08

Posted From: 68.116.182.210

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a desk from a vendor called Cherry Acres selling out of QUACKER ACRES last show in Sept. To make a long story short i paid a deposit and made arrangements to pickup the desk in penn. I kept my end of the bargain i paid deposit drove to penn. When i arrived desk wasn't ready and vendor unwilling to work with me. Many calls unanswered and refused to deliver to me. I spend over $5oo in gas, hotel, driving to penn to pick up a desk that the vendor did not produce. Vendor refunded my deposit. However i feel that i am out over $500 and have no desk. Vendor unwiling to produce what they promised. They didn't seem to care that both me and my husband had to take time out of work to drive to Penn, pay someone to take care of our pets, stay 2 nights in Penn waiting to find out what was happening and why the desk wasn't ready.

Brad Johnson (bradjohnson)
Expert
Username: bradjohnson

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 75.130.105.222

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KK Thanks for your Post...

At this point, there probably isn't much more you can do or expect really, based upon how far things have unfortunately progressed (de-gressed?).

At the first sign of trouble with any dealer or any deal, your best friend - and your best bet - is the Promoter who runs the show that the dealer appears in. They want you coming back, and they will usually do whatever they can to help resolve any issues such as this.

Probably by posting here, you've done about as much as you can, but if you are still looking for a resolution, I would contact Quaker Acres and get them involved:

QUAKER ACRES
Lee Adams, Manager
(413) 245-6185
email: ctrfields@aol.com

As the promoter who runs that particular show, I would ask him to intercede on your behalf...

Personally, if it were me, I will expect the dealer to bring the desk with him to this coming show, and I would further expect a price reduction as a show of good faith, assuming you still want the desk, and it sounds like you do.

If communicating directly with Quaker Acres does not produce any results, I would write a letter, to bring the matter to the attention of:

BRIMFIELD SHOW PROMOTERS' ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 332, Brimfield, MA 01010
413-283-6149 or 800-628-8379

While there is no "controlling authority" of the various shows, the Promoters have formed this professional Association to try to improve the Show and work together towards a common goal of making the Show better.

As a final note, my wife and I have been coming to the Show for over 30 years, and have lived in Brimfield for over 20 years. We have been to almost every single show, 3 times each year, have furnished two houses and a condo with antiques from the Show and have never had a single problem.

Part of this is surely due to the fact that we have found specific dealers in specific fields that we have gotten to know over the years. We depend on them to find for us the items we are looking for, as well as to repair and refinish other items we've found. And they know they can depend on us, year after year for repeat business.

If you'd like some names I can help with that, but I would not give up on your situation until I have tried Quaker Acres and/or the BSPA.

Good Luck, let us know how this turns out.
Brad

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration