Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
BrimfieldShow Bulletin Board * Collecting and Collections * Wanted cast iron vintage table legs < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Antique collection for sale by auctionCarol Swanburg 7-12-15  10:52 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douglas Pratt (douggieboy)
Username: douggieboy

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 96.238.50.30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Your announcement that appeared in my emails isn't active here on the show's website.
I collect antique music boxes, from 1790 up to WWI. If it has a plug, it's probably too new for me. The best ones were made in Switzerland and Germany, a few here in America licensed for the U.S. market by designers and manufacturers in Europe.
The bigger the better, some of mine are of museum caliber.
Photos are best; I speak fluent French and German, so if you see writing of any kind, just copy it verbatim and I'll usually know what it is. Tune card list what music the box plays, and are affixed to the inside lid-- disc boxes are much lik modern turntable:-- "records" they play are metallic plates, with tabs protruding downward. The bigger the better, and sometimes there will also be bells that play along with the music.

Cylinder boxes usually play a fixed number of tunes, ("aires" in French,) upon one or more "combs"-- Thus called because the musical notes look exactly like a that;-- a tapering comb.. Luxury items in their day, the case houses a musical player mechanism built of the finest materials by superior craftsmen, incorporating inlay of exquisite composition and workmanship. Rosewood, ebony, mahogany, and richly appointed accents of esoteric woods or precious/semi-precious adornments were available to those of sufficient economic means who could afford them.
Boxes in my collection include automata, one with a monkey in sync with the music, turning its head and striking bells with one mallet in each hand, while four enamel butterflies each strike a bell of their own.
Bremonde "baby coffin," 54 inches wide, with interchangeable cylinders, 4 playing 8 aires each, one Les Comptes D'Hoffman selections, by Offenbach. The Barcarolle in D brings tears to my eyes,,,, it is That! Beautiful! I can play this on the piano, but no keyboard can do justice to this 1889 Bremonde music box. It was appraised in 2005 for $22,000. That year, the massive 1.5 horsepower, 17 pound solid brass twin barrel drive lost its mainspring, and it had to take it out and send it to New York. I got it back 4 months and a nominal $385 later. I have a video of cranking it up to play, along with the Barcarolle.... Now all I have to do is find that tape! It was digital HD--

The other I collect with a passion is the U.S. Morgan Dollars. I have Aspergers, along with which in high school came things like knowing this series inside and out, ackdown lin and fass bbloward. Master of Spoonerisms, lover of spooning with that one special, faster than a speeding toadstool, able to cleanse tallest buildings in a single bowel episode of the inflammatory disease (30 day no cockroach guarantee,) and more powerful than a speeding chickadee, who......lol

I'll let you wonder from there....
Hugglebears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

amanda (ahoye)
Username: ahoye

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 143.115.159.54

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for vintage cast iron (or similar style) table legs for a table I'm making. Table height will be ~3-4' high.

I'm coming to Brimfield this weekend for the first time. Any guidance on which stalls/vendors tend to have this type of product would be much appreciated!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration